A solar water pump or a solar photovoltaic water pumping system is a system powered by solar energy. It is just like the traditional electric pump with the only exception that it uses solar energy instead of fossil fuel or electricity. It consists of one or more solar panels, also known as solar photovoltaic modules, a motor pump set, electronic controls or a controller device to operate the pump, the required hardware and in some cases, other items like inverters, batteries, etc.
The motor powered by solar energy draws water out of bore well, river, lake or pond.
The water supplied by the solar water pump can be used to irrigate crops, water livestock or provide potable drinking water.
Solar Pump Comparision with Diesel Pump
Advantage of Solar Water Pump
- Low maintenance because once installed it does not incur the recurring cost.
- Do not require any fuel or electricity to operate.
- Stand alone pumping system and does not required any grid, batteries.
- Cannot be affected by power cuts, low voltage, single phase problems or the motor burning.
- Solar Pump can be installed in rural areas where electricity is not available.
- No lubricants are used for operation. So, no chances of soil contamination.
- Easy to install and operate.